Water flow: Average
Visibility: 60 inches
Water temperature at mid-day: 45 Degrees F
Water condition: Clear
Best time of day to fish: the warmer hours of the day
Best stretch: The closer you are to the main springs the better the fishing
Best access point: There are only 2 public access points: 1 at the Mossy Creek Church, and 1 at the 42/747 bridge.
Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:
Blue Wing Olives, Midges
Fish species: Brown Trout
Fishing season: Year Round
Nearest airport: Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport
Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 Foot Leader
Recommended fly fishing tippet: 6X Tippet
Best fly fishing rod: 9' 5 Weight Fly Rod
Best floating fly line: WF Trout Fly Line
Mossy Creek is a peaceful limestone spring creek that meanders from its springhead in the village of Mt Solon about 8 miles to its confluence with the North River. It is similar to Pennsylvania spring creeks with fishable hatches of many species of mayflies and caddis. A four mile section of Mossy is open to the public thanks to an arrangement worked out by the landowners, Trout Unlimited, and The Virginia ...
Department of Game & Inland Fisheries. Each fall Mossy is stocked with fingerling brown trout. These fish grow quickly and the individuals that last a few years are as wild and wily as any stream born trout. Contrary to the information given in some regional guide books, Mossy is an extremely challenging stream and is not recommended as a place for beginners. Dry fly fishermen, familiar with Mossy's moods fish it carefully and slowly, often crouching or kneeling along the bank. Surface action can take place all year with tiny Olives hatching sporadically throughout the winter. By mid April hatches of larger blue winged olives and sulphurs become regular. Trico action usually begins around Memorial Day and can last until Halloween. It is the summer dry fly fishing for which Mossy is most famous. Most of the public section runs through open meadows. By late July trout are used to seeing grasshoppers, crickets, beetles, and ants and the fish become very aggressive on the surface. The average fisherman has his best chance of seeing and hooking really big fish in Mossy at this time. Streamer fishing on Mossy can also bring about some action from the largest fish. The best opportunity we usually see for landing the largest browns of the year is during a high water event. Heavy spring rains or tropical systems that move over the area dumping multiple inches a day will stain the water and increase the flow. The biggest browns will emerge from the undercuts and holes and move to the shallow moss beds and ambush disoriented bait washing downstream. Don’t be afraid to throw flies in the 4-6 inch range to entice a strike by some of these monsters. Access to Mossy Creek is available with a FREE permit that is allocated at the Verona office of the VDGIF. The permit is good for 1 year from the date of issue.
Be prepared for streamer fishing during the rain over the weekend. Dry fly rods need to be readily available when the caddis and BWO's start hatching!
Detailed Forecast It looks like we will have a return of more seasonable weather toward the end of this week with the possibility of some rain! TodaySunny, with a high near 46. North wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. TonightMostly clear, with a low around 17. North wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight. ThursdaySunny, with a high near 47. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Thursday NightIncreasing clouds, with a low around 32. South wind around 6 mph. FridayPartly sunny, with a high near 62. South wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Friday NightMostly cloudy, with a low around 47. SaturdayMostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Saturday NightMostly cloudy, with a low around 50. SundayShowers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday NightA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Chance of precipitation is 50%. MondayA chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Monday NightA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Chance of precipitation is 30%. TuesdayA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 40%.