Clinch River, Tennessee Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
Fly Fishing Map of Clinch River, TN
Bookmark and Share
Clinch River, Tennessee Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
My tips of the week
Sulphurs continue to make an appearance...as the season moves on and fish get finicky, tap into the transitional phases such as split case nymphs or other emergent phases... http://www.tva.gov/lakes/noh_r.htm
Fishing Conditions

Fly Fishing Clinch River is currently Excellent

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby:
Smoky Mountain Gillies

Water flow: Wade or Boat. Call 865-632-2264 #17 for latest

Visibility: 32 inches

Water temperature at mid-day: 45 Degrees F

Water condition: Clear

Best time of day to fish: Depends on Generation Schedule

Best stretch: Wade: Hwy 61 all day w/ 1 hour pulse. Millers when the water is off

Best access point: Millers/Wier

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

Midges Sulphurs beetles

Fish species: Trout

Fishing season: Year Round

Nearest airport: Knoxville, TN (TYS)

Free Orvis Fish Sticker

Clinch River Description

The Clinch River has alternately been described by one local guide as the “Cinch” and the “Grinch”, depending on the day. Regardless of one’s individual experience, there is no denying that some of the largest trout in Tennessee reside within its cold depths. In fact, the Tennessee state record Brown Trout (28lbs. 12oz.) was caught in 1988 just upstream from the Miller’s Island Boat Ramp.
Fly-fishermen ...

Techniques & Tips

The forecast is looking like high flows again for the forseeable future. Fishing will likely be limited to boats for the time being due to the recent heavy rains. Fishing can still be great if drifting, though. The key to this high,stained water will be large heavy streamers fished on heavy full sinking lines. Darker colors will be your friend in the murky water. For those wanting to fish nymphs and midges, focus on larger than normal patterns with a large helpin' of split shot to get it down. Strike indicators will need to be sized up as well to account for the heavy split shot.

7-Day Forecast

Tonight A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Friday A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 9am, then a chance of showers between 9am and 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 88. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Friday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly between midnight and 3am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Saturday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 9am, then showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Saturday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 1pm and 2pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely before 2am, then a chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Monday A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Monday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tuesday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 87. Tuesday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.

Save Email


Add Your Fishing Report