Wisconsin River - Lower, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
Reported by Orvis Madison
Fly Fishing Map of Wisconsin River, WI
Bookmark and Share
Wisconsin River - Lower, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
My tips of the week
Fish the mornings, and evenings. Fish the banks and drop offs. Streamers are working well. Especially the mini drunk and disorderly fly.... However top water has been getting better too... Boogle bugs are working great.
Fishing Conditions

Fly Fishing Wisconsin River is currently Good

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby:
Dave Barron

Water flow: 19000 cfs

Visibility: 12 inches

Water temperature at mid-day: 69 Degrees F

Water condition: Slightly Turbid

Best time of day to fish: Late afternoon into evening

Best stretch: County Y launch (Mazomanie) to Arena

Best access point: Multiple access points; best include VFW launch in Prairie du Sac, Hwy 12 launch in Sauk City, and Hwy Y launch in Mazomanie

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

Small silver baitfish-- gizzard shad and minnows-- are the primary forage food for game fish.

Fish species: Smallmouth bass

Fishing season: May through October is prime time

Nearest airport: Dane County Regional Airport

Free Orvis Fish Sticker

Lower Wisconsin River Description

Flowing freely for ninety miles below the Prairie du Sac dam, the lower Wisconsin riverway is southern Wisconsin's premier warmwater fishery. Early spring is prime-time for walleye; smallmouth bass are the primary target through the summer and into early fall; and muskellunge close out the unofficial season in late fall. Fishing opportunities abound, and one is just as likely to hook into white bass, panfish, ...

Techniques & Tips

Smallmouth bass can be targeted using a variety of flies, white being the most popular color choice: 3M Minnows, Murdich Minnows, Barteux Minnows, Boogle Bugs, Crease Flies, and Clousers. Pike and musky can be targeted using larger streamers in colors black, orange, pink and white, including: Jared's Outlaw, Drunk and Disorderly, Chuck-and-Ducks, Montauk Monsters, and Pike Bunnies.

7-Day Forecast

7/18/18 Today Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Thursday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Thursday Night Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. Friday A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Friday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. North wind around 10 mph. Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Monday A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 79.

Save Email


Add Your Fishing Report