Thanks to all of you for your overwhelming response with podcast suggestions in our Access fly rod giveaway contest. There were many thoughtful and interesting ideas in there and I just thought I would comment on a few:
- We have a “How to get into fly tying” podcast coming out this week. We had many suggestions for that one but we had already recorded it before we announced the contest
- I hear you about the winter steelheading podcast. Will do. Many requests for this and we had one planned.
- Ditto on winter tailwater fishing.
- There were many requests for hard-hitting environmental podcasts. Although this is a topic of great interest to me, I’m not an expert on it, which is the reason why we have our Trout Unlimited podcasts (how do you like those by the way?)
- Regarding the many requests for location-specific podcasts, I like to try to keep these more general because we have listeners all over the world. So although I would love to travel to your area to learn something about your specific conditions and develop some tips for your location, it’s not really fair to other listeners. One resource for location-specific tips is our Fishing Reports at orvis.com/fishingreports. These are written by on-site experts and every week they offer tips on fishing these specific waters.
- A lot of you asked for a podcast on ettiquette. We’ve done one before and anyway I feel I’d be preaching to the choir on that one.
- Some of the topics you asked for are subjects that I’m just not qualified to do a podcast on. James, my producer, and I are working on a solution to do phone interviews with other experts but at this point we’re not completely satisfied with the sound quality.
That being said, here are my finalists to win the Orvis Access fly rod. I chose these based on:
-Interest to a wide audience
-My ability to address the subject
-A topic that we have not specifically adressed before.
Let the voting begin!