Editor’s Note: “First Casts” is a regular feature that highlights great fly-fishing content from around the Web—from how-to articles, to photo essays, to interesting reads.
- A new issue of the online magazine Flymage is now online, with great articles, photos, and videos from around the world: Boca Grande to the Faroe Islands.
- A very cool article on The Nature Conservancy site focuses on rodent-eating trout from Idaho’s Silver Creek to Alaska’s Togiak River. Fascinating stuff.
- The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has identified the 1,000th angler to complete the Wyoming Cutt-Slam. The winner said, “I was able to see new country and fish different waters than the ones I normally fish. . .It involved a bit of driving to get to the various streams I fished, but it was well worth it. The country was beautiful, and I caught a lot of fish everywhere I went.”
- Over on Midcurrent, Marshall Cutchin has penned a great remembrance of South Florida legend George Hommell, who passed away on August 31. “[H]is contributions—from tying some of the first sinking flats flies, to competing in the first tournaments, to his lifelong commitment as an angler and businessman to conservation groups like the Everglades Protection Association and BTT—were many and varied.”
- The editors of Fly Fishing in Salt Waters magazine offer their Big Five must-fish destinations (no passport required).