Podcast: Tom Interviews his Mentor, the Legendary Lewis Coleman

This is a special time of year for me, as it is the start of trout season in my hometown. So I treat today like a religious holiday. It seems appropriate then that I should interview my mentor—someone whom many view as a fly-fishing god—Lewis Coleman. Lewis has taught some of the best in the world his techniques, and he will share some of those with us today.

There is no fly-box section in this show, as I wanted to give Lewis as much time as we could to go over his insight into Spey casting, how he is pushing the limits in Tenkara, and all about how he runs his lodges all around the world. We are lucky to have him on the show.

If you don’t see the “Play” button above, click here to listen.

20 thoughts on “Podcast: Tom Interviews his Mentor, the Legendary Lewis Coleman

1. Bob

I was taken in for a few minutes… excellent Tom! Looking forward to your next book, “Poisson d’Avril”.
    (April Fish)
    Bob

2. Mark Wright

Almost had me. Took me a bit to figure out just what was wrong… $17,000 a DAY to fish? Even in Russia? That got me wondering….. Great podcast Mr. Tom. You are STILL da’ man!

3. Dave R

Pretty good gag. A bit lame but good none the less. Wnen you said Lewis was calling in from Kamchaca (sp?) that was the give away, since I bet it’s still a bit cold there.

4. BugBoss

Outstanding!
    “He thought I wanted an autograph; I gave him a lesson”!
    “Tip Sag”?
    Laughed so hard I blew a tray of No. 16 partridge hackles and half a glass of zinfandel off the port bow of my fly tying bench.

5. Rich

When can we get a top sag podcast? I think this is something that needs to address. Maybe Pete can do a “ask a ca siting instructor” video on tip sag.

6. range96

Aye aye aye! “Fishing for ya-mommy” it made me smile, but better keep your day job. Glad you had fun making this.

7. Pappy 1004

I took up fly fishing last year, on my 64th birthday. I’ve been doing really well making lots of progress and learning a lot from your podcast. Then this happened…I think I’ve been set back at least five years.
    Nice work, Tom.

8. T.L.

I think it may have been five minutes or so you had me fooled, then lots of laughs as I made the long drive home from work today, thanks!