Take a Classic Tom Rosenbauer Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 07.25.13

Welcome to another edition of our trivia challenge, where we test your knowledge of all things fly fishing and where you might learn a thing or two about this sport we love. This week’s Classic Tom Rosenbauer Trivia Challenge (actually including questions from two previous quizzes) is all about casting and presenting flies to rising fish.

The scores on last week’s quiz were a bit better than the previous quiz, with just one reader scoring 100%. (Congrats, Evan!) There were also two 90% scores, Tom Jackson and Andy B. Some folks may need to add 10%, as there was an error in the answers for about the first 24 hours the quiz was up.

As usual, the randomly chosen winner of this week’s quiz will receive a signed copy of Tom’s book The Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing. This is a great book for anyone who loves getting off the beaten path and chasing blue lines. It provides all the information for finding and fishing unspoiled gems found everywhere from wilderness areas to suburban backyards. Our last book winner was Leonard, who was one of our numerous 100% champions.

So, take this week’s quiz, and no matter how well or poorly you do, post your score in the comments below to be eligible to win Tom’s book with his inspirational words on the title page.

Good luck!

How much do you know about casting?

145 thoughts on “Take a Classic Tom Rosenbauer Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 07.25.13

1. James Hoard

90% (I am a bit new to all of this and have never heard a pile cast be called a puddle cast, fool me once…..) good quiz, thanks Orvis

2. Earl Arnold

Well I guess 90% is OK considering I teach people how to cast. But every fly fisher I know has an opinion. And by the way if the fish rises to my fly and I miss him I wait for a slow 20 count and put the same fly back over him.
    Works like a charm.

3. Shawn Zankl

80%. Best I’ve done to date. I guess I’m learning a bit of the basis thanks to all of Orvis’ educational resources. Thank you!

4. TimRobinsin

80% Hmmmm…I’m going to need something to keep my beverage cool while I study my casting books again!

5. Serge

60%, I‘m happy with my score. I‘m returning, this year, to fly fishing after 20 years. Lots of new concept to learn.

6. Dale Spaller

70 per cent. I expected better. apparently reading comprehension is not one of my stronger suits

7. RiverSong

90%. Easiest quiz by far for me. Just got confused on the 10 o’clock thing.
    Sure could use that book!

8. RLHandy

100%…………….alright!
    “knowledge is the foundation,practice with purpose leads to successful execution”
    quote from my mentor-A.L.Handy,Jr

9. Ed

60% is not bad for a first timer. I practice often but I sure don’t know what a puddle cast is….yet.
    I’m very much a novice.

10. George

80%. Puddle cast I got wrong. # 10 I disagree with. Change the fly to a smaller size immediately after 1 turn? Why not try one more shot? After all it could have been the presentation (drag, micro-drag, etc) not the fly.

11. joshua

10/10! but i think i am a little late in taking the quiz; the contest seems over. oh well, perfection is its own reward.