Take an All-New Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 03.06.14

Welcome to another edition of our trivia challenge, where we test your knowledge of all things fly fishing and where you might learn a thing or two about this sport we love. This week, we’ve got ten more new questions on fish foods and the flies that imitate them. Remember: Each question asks for the BEST answer, as you can often make a case for any fly being a pretty good imitation.

Last week, a few folks argued about whether or not the Gurgler is a wounded-baitfish imitation and the Sparkle Dun is an adult pattern. Remember, I asked for “the best” answer, so we can agree to disagree (especially since there’s no money involved).

The scores on the last week’s Trivia Challenge were superb, with 18 100%s and a plethora of 90%s and 80%s. Nice work, all y’all.

The randomly chosen winner of this week’s quiz will receive a copy of Great Fishing Lodges of North America by Paul Fersen, a gorgeous coffee-table book. The winner of our last quiz (as determined by random.org) was Jake Chisholm, who scored a perfect 100%.

So, take this week’s quiz, and no matter how well or poorly you do, post your score in the comments below to be eligible to win a cool Buff.

Good luck!

What’s this fly supposed to be?
Photo via orvis.com

178 thoughts on “Take an All-New Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 03.06.14

1. Dan

80%. Didn’t miss any freshwater flies. Guess I’ll have to start fishing and tying some salt patterns!!!

2. Dave R

Holy buckets 100%! Now where did that come from? The funny thing is that I was pretty sure of my answer to each question. Which normally is not the case.

3. Dan Gracia

100%.
    Didn’t even have to hesitate! Just zipped through it.
    Of course, I’ve not only used all those flies, but sold them all too and tied most of them.

Dan

4. Harry Herz

I have booked a trip to Iceland for this summer and just found out that I need to get my equipment disinfected and am struggling to find a company in NY that does that. do you have any suggestions?

Harry Herz

5. Clint

I got 90% correct. LIke many others, I have to start fishing a little salt to expand my knowledge base.

6. Daniel Wood

70% eh not bad still room for improvement I don’t want to know everything anyways wheres the fun in that..

7. Matthew Reilly

Ha, 50%! Nevertheless, Phil, what I love about these quizzes is that, especially when they focus on subjects outside of our comfort zones, they provide a fun learning opportunity!

Thanks!

8. Ted Rosenkrantz

70%, not bad. Would disagree on an adult stone imitation be the stimulator. It more of a caddis imitation.

1. Phil Monahan

Most folks think of Randall Kaufmann, famed West Coast angler and shop owner, as the inventor of the Stimulator, but the question seems up for debate. The fly’s true originator may be Jim Slattery, who claims that he first tied the stonefly pattern to fish the Musconetcong River in central New Jersey in 1980. Based on the Sofa Pillow, Slattery’s fly was originally called the Fluttering Stonefly, but he renamed it the Stimulator after a New York City punk-rock group.

See more here: http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Tying-the-Yellow-Stimulator/

9. Judy W

You scored 100%! Evidently, I know more about flies and less about locations! Thanks to our wonderful Fly Fishing Club the DVWFFA.. (Delaware Valley Women’s Fly Fishing Association)

10. SR Sopha

70%. I’m new to Fly Fishing. Can someone please teach me to tie in those Henryville wings, easily!?

11. ryan H

well this week was a good score 9 out of 10!! I kow my flies pretty well, now I just need to get fish to take them!!!

12. Tim B.

90 for me! Finally out of the doghouse. My best score since before Christmas and second highest ever.

13. Billy

60% Ever thought of posting the topic for next week’s quiz and let people do a little research first, kinda like the Jeopardy final question? Just a thought.

14. Will Moody

100%!, Almost missed the caddisfly, but I will never forget dropping the last one out of my fathers box when I was 14… Never happened again though