Take the Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 08.08.13

Welcome to another edition of our trivia challenge, where we test your knowledge of all things fly fishing and where you might learn a thing or two about this sport we love.

The last quiz was a little tougher than the previous one, as the number of perfect scores fell to five, although we did have thirteen 90s. That’s a lot of near misses.

As usual, the randomly chosen winner of this week’s quiz will receive a signed copy of Tom’s book The Orvis Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing. This is a great book for anyone who loves getting off the beaten path and chasing blue lines. It provides all the information for finding and fishing unspoiled gems found everywhere from wilderness areas to suburban backyards. Last week’s book winner (as determined by random.org) was Kevin, who was one of those almost-but-not-quite 90-percenters.

So, take this week’s quiz, and no matter how well or poorly you do, post your score in the comments below to be eligible to win Tom’s book with his inspirational words on the title page.

Good luck!

Who first tied killer dry fly?
Photo via orvis.com

105 thoughts on “Take the Phil Monahan Fly-Fishing Trivia Challenge 08.08.13

1. Bob

70% and mostly ok with that…my product placement for the “river runs through it was a touch off” and I missed the plastic fly line revolution by 1 year.

2. thomas murphy

60% but it is iteroparous not iteoparous — forgot the au sable is in Michigan (which is worse because I was born there).

1. Phil Monahan Post author

You are correct! Typo on my part, for which I apologize. On the other hand, while you are correct that the Au Sable is in Michigan, the AuSable (one word) is in New York’s Adirondacks.

3. Bill

First timer and I thought I was going to be the only one with a 40% or below,,, Now I don’t feel so bad !!

4. Joe L

70%…I’ll take it….I can’t remember the coffee I drank this morning, let alone who put worms in what brand of coffee can in a movie decades ago…!! Have a great weekend all!

5. Dale Spaller

50%. I thought seriously about giving Col Klink kudos for the klinkhammer-but didn”t (missed it anyway)

6. Michael

Well, I know Hans Van Klinken and I love a River Runs Through It. That’s my 20% score. I really did not fare well this time around, although I should have gotten the Ausable River question right, seeing as I fished that. Apparently my knowledge of geography is not too fantastic either. Next week will be better . . . But I loved this quiz!

7. Brian

40%. Thankfully, I’ve watched “A River Runs Through It” 40 or 50 times, so I had no trouble knowing what brand of coffee can Neal used to carry nightcrawlers.

8. Dave

I would really like to have that book, but there is no way I’m posting my score this week (hint: Evidently I’m stupid).

9. Johnh

50%. Ouch. One of the best quizzes yet. Love the eclectic mix. Plus my wife guessed wrong on the last question.

10. Gin Clear

40%, Phil. Good one though. Thanks again for keeping us on our toes.

Who produced the first PVC coated fly line?

11. Casey

60% Can,t believe I remembered the quote ” I bet he’ll bring a can of worms in a hills bros coffee can” haha