Video: How to Tie the Davy Knot and Double Davy Knot

Last October, we posted a video on tying the Davy Knot by my friend Zach Matthews. With all due respect to Zach, the folks at Tightline productions have got higher production values. So if you didn’t quite get the Davy Knot back then, this video will answer all your questions. The knot is the creation of Davy Wotton, who is a Welshman relocated to Flippin, Arkansas.

For more information on Davy himself, check out his elaborate website.

The Davy Knot (bottom) is considerably less obtrusive than the standard Clinch Knot.

15 thoughts on “Video: How to Tie the Davy Knot and Double Davy Knot

1. Chase

Awesome knots! The Davy knot is all I use on smaller sized flies since I learned how to tie it about a year ago. Quick, easy, and saves some tippet.

1. Tightline

I generally don’t because it is so small and seats over a very short distance. That said, I’m sure it couldn’t hurt.

2. Boris from Ohio

This knot is amazing. The Davy knot is so small and unobtrusive, yet it stands up to the fight of a angry steelhead. It is my favorite knot. My thanks to Davy Wotton and kudos to Tightline for demonstrating it so well.

3. Will

I don’t think I’ve ever lost a steelhead or salmon after I started using the double Davy!!! It is THE KNOT.

4. Frank Carlton

Capt. Marc Bellefleur, Keys Guide, Islamorada, FL ties a similar version to the Davy for his tarpon rig, tippet to fly.
    In this knot the tag end comes up through the eye and then loops twice around the running line moving toward the eye. Then the tag end is brought through both loops and tightened creating a sliding loop. The size of the loop can be adjusted by simultaneously pulling on both the tag and running portions of the line. With a fish on the loop tightens against the hook and can be reopened by sliding the double loops away from the eye after catching the fish.
    In my efficiency tests this is a 100% knot.

5. B

I just love this knot! I found it the easiest way for me to do the double is to hold a short tag end stiff in between my fingers, then move the loop around it, each time pinching down the twist. (If that makes sense). Also to create the right angle he speaks of, just let go of the tag right before the final clinch and it will fall in to place it self.

The strength of this knot is crazy for such a small profile.

6. Damon

I used it all day yesterday, landing over 30 trout. I was very impressed by how easy it was to tie and how well it held up. Thanks for the info.

7. frank carlton

Anyone know the brand name and source for the “hackle pliers” used in this video? I cannot find it.
    Radio Shack makes a similar plastic one and Hook & Hackle has a metal one, but I cannot find the exact one?? Thanks.

8. Pingback: How to Tie “the Davy Knot” – and “the Double- Davy Knot” (Davy Endorsed) | Davy and TBirds' Fly Fishing Journal

9. Pingback: Davy Knot and Double Davy Knot - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

10. Pingback: Fluorocarbon Knot Problem - Page 2 - The North American Fly Fishing Forum