West Fork Kickapoo River, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
Reported by Orvis Madison
Fly Fishing Map of West Fork Kickapoo River, WI
Bookmark and Share
West Fork Kickapoo River, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
My tips of the week
Heavy rains have cooled the streams off a bit but still think about using a thermometer on the slower stretches where the water can warm up midday. Terrestrials are the go to right now for rising fish and a hopper dropper rig should work well all day.
Fishing Report Last Updated:
7 / 11 / 2020
tab1
tab1
tab1
tabend
tabend
Fishing Conditions

Fly Fishing West Fork Kickapoo River is currently Good

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby:
Dave Barron

Water flow: 360 and leveling off

Visibility: 12 inches

Water temperature at mid-day: 60 Degrees F

Water condition: Stained

Best time of day to fish: Morning and evening on sunny days, midday can be very good as well, weather depending

Best stretch: Avoid the section through the Westfork campground at Avalanche. The campground is still recovering from last fall's flood damage. Workdays are being scheduled by the Westfork Sportsmans Club. Please come out to help if you can, your efforts benefit everyone. Check the website or Facebook Page for more details! There are productive sections north of the bridge at County Y and S. Fish upstream. You can also go to several spots downstream of the golf course and at the intersection of Cty S and Hwy 82.

Best access point: Good to excellent access up and down - also at any bridge crossing

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

Fish anytime using the appropriate size and shape nymphs as well as stimulator & droppers. Bigger fish will be looking for large streamers. Got stained water? Try Black streamers with some flash.

Fish species: Browns, Rainbows, Brookies

Fishing season: Trout season is open thru October 15 in Wisconsin

Nearest airport: Dane County Regional Airport

Kickapoo River, West Fork Description

The Kickapoo river begins near Wilton, Wisconsin and flows south through a deep valley cut into the hilly Driftless Zone of southwest Wisconsin offering close to 30 miles of designated trout water. It empties into the Wisconsin River near Wauzeka, Wisconsin. The river is very crooked, frequently doubling back on itself as it flows through the Wisconsin landscape. Because of the extremely crooked path of the ...

Techniques & Tips

Driftless trout are easily spooked so be covert and stealthy. Dry fly patterns, such as Caddis, Adams, BWO can be very effective when you're seeing fish rising. Keep your eyes open and see what is hatching on a sunny afternoon. Give a new pattern a try, something that the heavily pressured fish haven't seen. Ant and Beetle patterns are working and don't forget the Stimulator or Hopper / dropper combination.

7-Day Forecast

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 78. North wind 3 to 8 mph. Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 58. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Monday Night A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 6 mph. Tuesday Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Tuesday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Wednesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph in the afternoon. Wednesday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 60. Light and variable wind. Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the morning. Thursday Night A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Friday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. South wind 3 to 6 mph.


Add Your Fishing Report