Black Earth Creek, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
Reported by Orvis Madison
Fly Fishing Map of Black Earth Creek, WI
Bookmark and Share
Black Earth Creek, Wisconsin Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions
My tips of the week
All anglers are encouraged to fish Black Earth Creek from the banks to aid in controlling invasive species that inhabit of this water. With little rain recently,we've got great conditions in the Driftless area. The trout are hungry and eating regularly! Creeks are generally clear. Water temperatures are still right around 60 with the exception of one or two of the larger creeks. Tricos have been coming off in the mornings, terrestrials on the surface all day long. Fishing a hopper or attractor foam pattern with a dropper through the day can be deadly. Rolling a nymph along the bottom (whether it be tight line nymphing or indicator nymphing of the deeper pools) can also produce some excellent fishing during the summer. Mousing reports have been generally positive, with the best mousing action at dusk and slowing down late at night.
Fishing Conditions

Fly Fishing Black Earth Creek is currently Excellent

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby:
Dave Barron

Water flow:

Visibility: 15 inches

Water temperature at mid-day: 60 Degrees F

Water condition: Clear

Best time of day to fish: Mornings and evenings can be highly productive, avoid bright, sunny afternoons

Best stretch: South Valley Road downstream.

Best access point: Scherbel Road at Salmo Pond, South Valley Road, and Wolf Run Trail in Mazomanie.

Fly fishing hatches in order of importance:

Nymphs are working in the Driftless area creeks. Weighted streamers will get down into deep holes. Scuds can also be effective, as they are always in the Driftless waters. The hopper/dropper set up is very effective as well at this time of year.

Fish species: browns, rainbows, and brookies

Fishing season: Trout Season open until October 15, 2019

Nearest airport: Dane County Regional Airport

Black Earth Creek Description

Black Earth Creek, in Southern Wisconsin's Dane County, is a highly productive Class 1 trout stream. It begins as a coldwater spring just west of Madison, and empties past Mazomanie into the Wisconsin River. It offers cool, clean, and very clear water meandering through wooded and prairie surroundings. The creek is banked by beautiful bluffs that create the Black Earth Creek valley. Black earth is full of insect ...

Techniques & Tips

Driftless trout can be easily spooked, especially on Black Earth Creek, so being covert is your best technique. This stream is fished heavily due to its proximity to Madison. Traveling a little further can put you on some other beautiful streams in the WI Driftless area.

7-Day Forecast

Tuesday Aug 20 Tonight A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between midnight and 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 77. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Thursday Sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the morning. Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 54. East wind around 5 mph. Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. East wind around 5 mph. Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 54. East wind around 5 mph. Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Sunday Night A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Monday A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Monday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Tuesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.


Add Your Fishing Report