Willowfly Anglers, CO
Orvis-Endorsed Fly-Fishing Outfitter in Almont, Colorado
100% Customer Satisfaction
has been our commitment since 1856. It’s who we are. If you aren’t happy with a product or service, we want to know about it. And we’ll make it right. That’s the Orvis Way.
Orvis is pleased to offer our travel customers access to two valuable services: Global Rescue travel membership and IMG Signature Travel Insurance℠.Learn More
The resort offers a variety of lodging options, including cabins on the Taylor River with private fishing rights. Whether you are coming with a larger group, or looking for a quiet getaway, there are lodging options to fit varying needs and budgets. Our summertime Smokehouse Restaurant offers superb meals and a bar in a casual patio setting. In-house smoked meats and tasty BBQ top off a great day on the water.
In addition to fly fishing trips, the resort offers casting clinics, guided spin fishing trips, guided whitewater rafting trips, guided kayak trips, and a general store with basic grocery items. Join us in Almont to see why our guests return every year to this truly special part of Colorado!
Our fly shop is open seven days a week from May through October, but during the off-season it is always accessible when the resort's General Store is open. We take pride in being a friendly, knowledgeable shop with no secrets. Whether you are brand new to fly fishing, or a seasoned expert, we can help you get the gear and flies you need and point you in the right direction.
9 ft. 5 wt. rods with floating lines are customary. Clients are encouraged to bring a rain jacket, hat, and polarized sunglasses.
What to Bring:
We suggest clients bring:
- Bug spray (summer)
- Rain jacket
- Polarized sunglasses
- Hand sanitizer
- Personal items such as medications
We operate fly-fishing trips year-round:
- Springtime can offer great fishing pre-runoff, but weather is variable year-to-year. Crowds are typically thin during spring, leaving the rivers peaceful and open.
- Summertime is our peak season. We have great hatches of mayflies, caddis flies, stoneflies, and midges throughout the summer. Dry fly fishing is common from July through September, but we do employ other techniques as well including nymphing and streamers.
- Autumn is a wonderful time to fish in the Gunnison Valley. As the leaves begin to change colors, Kokanee salmon make their spawning run upriver from Blue Mesa Reservoir. Angling for trout and salmon can be fantastic in September and October.
- Winter can be cold and snowy here, but we are fortunate to have access to the Taylor River "catch and release" section, downstream of Taylor Park Reservoir. This tailwater can fish well throughout the winter for those willing to fish in winter conditions.
The Gunnison Valley is well-known for the variety and sizes of our trout: rainbows, cutthroat, browns, brooks, and cuttbows. We also have the nation's largest landlocked Kokanee salmon run from late August through November. Anglers flock to the area each fall for some fun salmon stream fishing. Check our website for frequent updates and fishing reports for the area.
Willowfly Anglers offers walk and wade and float trips daily in the summer. Walk and wade trips are available all year upon request. The resort is located at an elevation of 8,027 feet and most stream locations will not exceed 9,000 feet in elevation. The resort is easy to find, right off of a main county highway and at the entrance to Taylor Canyon. We fish a variety of waters in the valley, including small streams, larger rivers, and even lakes. Our optional private waters offer the best of the best private fishing ranches and clubs as well as our own stretch of private water on the Taylor River reserved for our guests.
The weather in the Gunnison Valley can vary greatly in one day. It is not unusual to see temperature swings of 40 degrees F or more in one day and it can snow any day of the year. However, during the busy summer season, you can expect highs in the upper 70s and sometimes 80s while lows can dip into the 40s. Winters can be downright frigid with many daytime temperatures barely reaching above zero. The spring and fall months will fall somewhere between the winter extremes and summer temps.
Starting from: $300.00
You can find all pricing information at: https://www.3riversresort.com/fishing/fly-fishing/
What is Provided:
We provide all equipment necessary for your trip, except your fishing licenses and clothing. Waders, boots, rods, reels, flies, and tackle are all included; however, clients are welcome to bring their own equipment. On full-day trips we also provide a lunch and drinks. We suggest clients bring: Sunscreen, bug spray (summer), rain jacket, hat, polarized sunglasses, camera, hand sanitizer, and personal items such as medications.
In addition to fly fishing, the resort offers:
- Guided spin fishing trips
- Guided whitewater rafting trips
- Guided kayak trips
We also rent:
- Fishing equipment
Our activities desk staff can also arrange horseback riding and zip-line tours through our local partners.
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 18.2.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getReviews, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.; SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.;