Effective date: November 7, 2022
Information We Collect
Personal Information You Provide
We may collect personal information (including name, address, telephone number, email address, and payment information) when you:
- Place an order
- Return an item or make an exchange
- Inquire about our services
- Request a catalog
- Create an account on the Site
- Subscribe to our Email Newsletter
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes
- Participate in a marketing survey, promotion or event
- Use our chat feature
- Submit a review
- Request to be notified when an out-of-stock item is back in stock
- Request a repair of one of our products
- Sign up for a class or trip
Information Collected Automatically
We use various tools and technologies like cookies, web beacons, and web server logs to collect information automatically on the Site. This information may include IP addresses, device identifiers, browser characteristics, operating system details, internet service provider details, language preferences, and details about your use of the Site (referring URLs, time and length of visits, and pages viewed).
These tools also may include GPS (global positioning systems) software, geo-filtering, and other location-aware technologies to locate you, sometimes precisely, for purposes such as verifying your location and delivering or restricting content based on your location. Our “find a store” feature may access and use information about your device location to suggest appropriate store locations, and our Site may be personalized based on various information we have about you to provide you with more location-relevant content.
Please note that we or third parties may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different devices and online properties when you use the Site.
Information Collected By Other Parties
We may engage vendors to provide certain interactive features on our Site. Your use of these interactive features is voluntary, and we may retain the information that you submit through these features. For example, we may offer an interactive chat feature on the Site to assist you with your order and for other customer service purposes. When you participate in the interactive chat, either with a virtual or live agent, the contents of the chat may be captured and kept as a transcript. By using these features, you understand that our vendors may process the information obtained through the feature to provide the service on our behalf.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your personal information to:
- Process and track your order
- Provide the services you request
- Contact you about the status of an order
- Send you catalogs or promotional offers we believe will be of interest to you
- Send you the Orvis Email Newsletter
- Identify your product and service preferences
- Customize our communications to you
- Advertise products and services and improve the effectiveness of our advertising
- Provide information concerning product recalls or products you have purchased
- Improve our merchandise selection and customer service
- Administer a sweepstakes or similar promotion and identify or publicize the winner(s) in accordance with the rules for that promotion
Sharing of Personal Information
We may share your personal information with affiliates, business partners, vendors (e.g., payment processors, shippers, sweepstakes promoters, and website developers), and other parties.
In the event of a business transaction, such as if we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (e.g., further to a merger, reorganization, liquidation, or any other business transaction, including negotiations of such transactions), we reserve the right to disclose any information we obtain through the Site.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by law or we believe that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order
- Protect the company’s rights and property
- Investigate reports of fraud or of users sending material using a false email address or users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages
- Protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Site
- Respond to emergencies, such as when we believe someone's physical safety is at risk
Analytics & Advertising
We may use third-party technology and vendors such as, Google, Facebook, and Adobe, in connection with your activity on the Site to help us understand and analyze how visitors use the Site and to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. For example, we’ve implemented Google Analytics Advertising Features such as remarketing with analytics, interest-based advertising, demographics and interests reporting, user segment analysis, and impression reporting. These technology companies and advertisers may use, store, or access cookies and other tracking technologies to collect or receive information from the Site, and elsewhere on the internet.
You may be able to opt out of certain interest-based advertising using the settings on your browser or mobile device. In addition, the following services or organizations offer tools that you can use to limit or opt out of interest-based advertising:
- For more information on how Google Analytics uses data it collects, visit google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. To opt out of Google Analytics, visit tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To adjust your Google advertising settings, visit: adssettings.google.com.
- To learn more about opting out of data collection by Adobe Analytics go to www.adobe.com/privacy/opt-out.html.
- To learn more about Criteo’s privacy practices, including how to disable Criteo’s services, you may visit www.criteo.com/privacy.
- To change your privacy and advertising settings with Facebook, login to your Facebook account and navigate to your account settings.
- For information on how Microsoft collects or receives personal information through tracking technologies to provide Microsoft Advertising, see the Microsoft Privacy Statements: privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement.
- To opt out of data collection by Live Ramp, visit: optout.liveramp.com/opt_out.
- To opt out of interest-based advertising from companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance or Network Advertising Initiative opt-out programs, please visit youradchoices.com/control and optout.networkadvertising.org.
Your opt-out choice may apply only to the browser or device you are using when you opt out, so you should opt out on each of your browsers and devices if you want to disable interest-based advertising for those browsers and devices. If you opt out, you will still receive ads, but they may not be as relevant to you and your interests. Please note that we do not control how third parties manage their opt-out processes.
The Site may permit you to interact with social media platforms operated by unaffiliated parties, for example, to “like” Orvis or to share content from the Site on those platforms (“Social Features”). If you choose to “like” or share content or post information using Social Features, that information may be publicly displayed, and the party operating the other platform may receive certain information about you and your use of the Site. Similarly, if you interact with us through Social Features (e.g., if you “like” or “follow” our page on another platform), we may have access to information about you from that platform. Please note that if you mention or comment about Orvis or our Site in your post on another platform, that platform may allow us to publish your post on our Site. In addition, we may receive information about you if a user on a social media platform gives us access to their profile and you are one of their connections, or information about you is otherwise accessible through that other user. You should review the terms, policies, and settings of these other platforms to learn more about their data practices and/or adjust your settings.
Sweepstakes, Contests, and Similar Promotions
We offer choices about the types of information you receive from us. If you prefer not to receive catalogs or other communications from Orvis or if you prefer to receive them less frequently, use the following form to request a change or cancellation in your catalog mailing subscription. If you no longer wish to receive our Email Newsletter, you may unsubscribe online or unsubscribe using the link provided in each edition of the email.
Accessing, Reviewing & Changing Your Personal Information
Registered users can review and change certain personal information (e.g., name, address, telephone number, email address, and payment information) at any time by accessing their account on the Site.
European Data Subjects
EU and UK data subjects may click here to review our EU and UK Privacy Notice.
California residents may view our California Privacy Notice for additional information about rights they may have under California law.
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission via the Internet and online digital storage are not completely secure, so we cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through the Site.
Information for Users Outside the United States
Please note that Orvis is based in the USA and that personal information submitted to the Site will be transferred to a server in the USA and will be processed by staff operating in the USA. By submitting personal information through the Site to Orvis, you consent to this transfer, processing and storage. Please be aware that the data protection laws and regulations that apply to your personal information transferred to the United States or other countries may be different from the laws in your country of residence.
Our Site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have obtained personal information from a child under age 13 we will delete such information in accordance with applicable law.
For questions, comments or assistance, you may contact us at:
The Orvis Company
Attn: Customer Service:
1711 Blue Hills Drive
Roanoke, VA 24012