Capt. Dave Pecci
Orvis-Endorsed Fly-Fishing Guide in Charlotte Harbor, Florida
100% Customer Satisfaction
has been our commitment since 1856. It’s who we are. If you aren’t happy with a product or service, we want to know about it. And we’ll make it right. That’s the Orvis Way.
What is Provided:
All rods, reels, flies, and leaders are provided. However, customers are welcome to bring their own. Coffee, pastries, snacks, and water is provided on morning and afternoon trips. Lunch is provided on 6-hour trips. Special dietary concerns will gladly be met with prior notification.
- 8-9 wt. rods work well for redfish snook and trout.
- 11-12 wt. rods for tarpon.
- We use mostly floating lines. Occasionally, we'll use a sinking intermediate.
What to Bring:
- Polarized sunglasses
- Depending on the weather, rain gear or a windbreaker might be needed. If you forget any of these, Capt. Dave has extras on the boat for you. You'll be doing some sight casting on your trip, so please leave the brightly-colored shirts and hats at home. Pastel blues, greens, and grays are best.
November through June for redfish, snook and sea trout. Mid-April through early June for tarpon.
Charlotte Harbor's year-round redfish, snook, and sea trout fishing is among the best in Southwest Florida. Spring tarpon fishing along the beachfronts from Captiva to Boca Grande is known as some of best in the world. Other species available: jack crevalle, Spanish mackerel, bluefish, cobia, bonito, ladyfish and more.
Charlotte Harbor is located 100 miles south of Tampa and 20 miles north of Fort Myers and includes the areas of Boca Grande, Pine Island, Captiva, Sanibel, Gasparilla, Placida, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda. It's a tranquil getaway on Florida's Southwest Gulf Coast and a premier eco-tourism destination. Habitat includes mangroves, grass flats, canals, beachfronts, passes, and artificial reefs. The fishing and exploring possibilities are endless. This twenty-five mile long, five mile wide harbor lends itself perfectly to light tackle and fly fishing for many species. Sight fishing is exciting along the flats and mangroves of the East Side, Bull Bay, Placida, and Gulf Beaches. Blind casting the grass flats of the West Wall, Cape Haze, and Turtle Bay is very productive. On windy days, the Matlacha Pass and endless mangrove creeks provide shelter and consistent action. There are over fifteen area boat ramps that make for short runs to productive fishing.
- Fall: Mornings 60 to 70 F, warming to the 80s.
- Winter: Cool 50-60 mornings, warming to the 70s-low 80s.
- Spring and early summer: 70s in the morning, 80-90 during the days.
- Winds are typically less than 15 mph.
Location and times:
Trips start around 7:00-8:00 AM, meeting at one of the Charlotte Harbor area boat launches. Trips last 4-6 hours and are flexible and tailored to meet your needs. If you prefer, pick up and drop off at any of the Charlotte Harbor hotels, homes, or condos is available. Most trips are a combination of sight fishing and blind casting in shallow water, using floating lines. On occasions, we might use sinking intermediate lines along oyster reefs, banks, and holes.
Hewes 18' Redfisher can accommodate 1-2 comfortably, 3 is crowed but doable.
Yes, you can bring the puppy on your fishing trip.
Deposit and reservation cancellation information:
A deposit of $150 is required to reserve your trip. If you need to cancel your trip(s) and do so at least four weeks before your reserved date(s) your deposit will be refunded in full. Should you cancel your trip within the four-week period prior to your date(s) your deposit will be refunded only if I am able to rebook your date(s). Should we have to cancel due to weather or rough seas, I will refund your entire deposit if we cannot reschedule your trip for another day.
Capt. Dave considers tipping totally optional and at your sole discretion. If you had an enjoyable time while on your charter, a tip will be graciously accepted but certainly not expected.
Due to changing weather and fishing conditions, we will use one of several Charlotte Harbor area boat launches. Please call, text, or e-mail Capt. Dave a day or two prior to your trip to finalize where and when to meet. 207-841-1444 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Places to stay in the Charlotte Harbor area:
Wyvern Hotel Four Points by Sheridan Microtel Inn and Suites
- Punta Gorda Airport (PGD), 15 minutes
- Fort Myers (RSW), 45 minutes
- Sarasota Bradenton Intl. (RSQ), 1 hour
- Tampa international (TPA), 1 1/2 hours
- Orlando International (MCO), 2 1/2 hours
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 18.2.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getReviews, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.; SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.;