Pine Hill Plantation, GA
Orvis-Endorsed Wingshooting Lodge in Donalsonville, Georgia.
100% Customer Satisfaction
has been our commitment since 1856. It’s who we are. If you aren’t happy with a product or service, we want to know about it. And we’ll make it right. That’s the Orvis Way.
Orvis is pleased to offer our travel customers access to two valuable services: Global Rescue travel membership and IMG Signature Travel Insurance℠.Learn More
Lodging, Meals, and Accommodations:
Pine Hill Plantation has four gorgeous plantation lodges. For groups of 4 or more hunters, your reservation will grant you the privilege of having a lodge solely for the use of your private group. Each private group is served by a dedicated house staff of two who will provide for your hospitality needs as well as prepare and serve all of your meals in your private lodge.
The lodges and rooms are tastefully decorated and the bedding is plush and very comfortable.
Each of your sumptuous meals are prepared under the expert guidance of our resident chef. Each private group is able to select their entrée and dessert for the evening meals in advance of their stay.
Our mission at Pine Hill Plantation is to make your stay feel like you are at your very own private plantation.
The Pine Hill Manor Lodge has 6 bedrooms with 11 beds, 5 full bathrooms and 2 half bathrooms. The grand main floor of the lodge has two large dining rooms, a spacious great room, a gentleman’s gun room and a comfortable back porch overlooking the 90 acre lake.
The Quail Covey Lodge has similar features of the Pine Hill Manor lodge, but is built with the warmth and comfort of a cottage and sleeps up to 8. The lodge has 5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms and 1 half bathroom. The main floor of the lodge has a large dining room, a spacious great room, a gentleman’s gun room and a comfortable back porch overlooking the 90 acre lake.
The Sun Set Manor Lodge has 8 bedrooms each with en suite bathroom and king or queen bed. The grand main floor of the lodge has a large dining room, a spacious great room, a gentleman’s gun room and a comfortable back porch from which to enjoy the incredible sun set views over the 90 acre lake.
The Carriage House Lodge has 8 bedrooms each with en suite bathroom and king or queen bed. The main floor of the lodge has a large dining area, a spacious living space with pool table & bar and a comfortable back porch from which to enjoy the incredible sun set views over the 90 acre lake.
The Sun Set Manor Lodge and the Carriage House Lodge can be combined to provide 16 private Guest Rooms under one roof.
Sample of Typical Itinerary:
Most guest groups stay for 2 to 3 days of hunting, although you may book a trip for as short or long as you wish.
Day 1: Arrive at Pine Hill Plantation
- Check-in around 4:00 PM
- For commercial flights into Tallahassee, FL travel time is approximately 1 hr
- For commercial flights into Albany, GA travel time is approximately 1¼ hr
- For general aviation private aircraft arriving at Bainbridge, GA (BGE) travel time is approximately 20 minutes
- Transportation to and from airports may be scheduled with your reservation
- Warm-up round of clays at the skeet range or wobble trap
- Cocktails & appetizers on the dock or back porch… as you relax and watch the sun set over the 90 acre lake
- Dinner...just your group in your Private Lodge...served by your own dedicated house staff of 2
- Private lodging
Days 2 -4: Three Full Days of Quail Hunting
- Morning hunt with one mule-drawn wagon, horses, Hunt Master, Asst Hunt Master, Wagon Driver and dogs
- Lunch in the field or back at the Lodge
- Afternoon hunt with one mule-drawn wagon, horses, Hunt Master, Asst Hunt Master, Wagon Driver and dogs
- Cocktails & maybe fresh Gulf Apalachicola oysters on the half-shell enjoyed on the dock or back porch...as you relax and watch the sun set over the 90 acre lake
- Dinner… just your group in your Private Lodge...served by your own dedicated house staff of 2
- Private Lodging
- On departure day, depart from the field following the afternoon hunt
What is Provided to Customer:
Pine Hill Plantation's all-inclusive rates include:
- Quail Hunting license and hunting privileges - No bird limit, no extra bird charges
- Quail Hunting from horseback and mule-drawn wagon
- One morning hunt and one afternoon hunt per day
- Each hunt party of 4 shooters is escorted by a Hunt Master, Asst Hunt Master and a wagon driver with 8 pointing dogs and 1 retrieving dog
- One night lodging for each day of hunting
- All meals and all beverages
- Groups of 4 or more hunters enjoy their very own Private Lodge with a dedicated house staff of two who will serve their meals in their private dining room
- Cleaned, frozen quail packed in a soft cooler for you to take home at departure
Additional services available:
- Shotgun shells
- Rental Shotguns
- Transportation to and from airport
- Pro Shop purchases
What Should Customers Bring?
- Layered clothing – be prepared for weather from 20 degrees to 70 degrees Fahrenheit...check the weather forecast prior to your trip
- Light rain jacket and hat
- Safety glasses and ear protection
- Many of our Private Group guests bring their personal hunting dog, their favorite premium wines or their favorite cigars to share with their group
- Optional – you may bring your own shells or they are available for purchase
- Optional – waders for morning duck hunting – Georgia hunting license, Georgia HIP permit and Federal duck stamp
- Optional – cash for gratuities
- Skeet Range
- Wobble Trap
- Horseback Riding
- Quail Hunting
- Duck Hunting
- Bass Fishing
- Turkey Hunting
- Excursions to Thomasville for sightseeing, shopping and lunch
- Excursions to Havana, FL for antique shopping
Species You Hunt by Season:
Quail – Typically October 18 through March 18
Hunting is by horseback and mule-drawn wagon using pointing dogs in long leaf pine timber forests. The quail habitat is authentic and the covey rise shooting is lively. The number of covey finds vary with weather conditions. A hunt party of 4 is guided and serviced by a Hunt Master, an Asst Hunt Master and a Wagon Driver. Guest quail hunting licenses are included in the rates.
See http://www.pinehillplantation.com/the-hunt/georgia-quail-hunting/quail-hunting-rates for exact dates and rates this season.
Duck – Typically December 8 through January 31
Hunting is over ponds beginning at first light and typically lasts 30 to 45 minutes. Hunters can be positioned on dry ground but will have best results if they are equipped with waders for water up to thigh and waist high. Species hunted are generally wood ducks (limit 3) and ringneck ducks (limit 6) and the shooting is typically pass shooting. A hunt party of 4 is guided by a single guide. Hunters require a current Georgia hunting license, Georgia HIP permit and a current Federal duck stamp.
See http://www.pinehillplantation.com/the-hunt/duck-hunting for exact dates and rates this season.
Turkey – Typically March 23 – May 15
Hunting is on foot in the long leaf pine forest for wild eastern turkey (limit 1 gobbler). A single guide is provided for a pair of hunters. The guide will call for you or you may do your own calling. Hunters require a current Georgia hunting license and Georgia HIP permit.
See http://www.pinehillplantation.com/the-hunt/turkey-hunting for exact dates and rates this season.
Region/Terrain Where You Hunt:
Pine Hill Plantation is located in "the heart of the quail belt" in southwest Georgia approximately 50 miles west of Thomasville, GA. Pine Hill Plantation manages over 6000 acres of long leaf pine timber forest which is the native home of the wild bobwhite quail...and yes, we do have wild bobwhite quail.
A recent first time guest returned to the lodge after his group's first day of hunting and he was ecstatic to tell his story..."You wouldn't believe what I saw today! I managed to get a shot off at a covey of quail as they flushed like a rocket across a field opening in the woods. As they flew across some low volunteer pines on the other side of the field, I saw another covey flush and fly away with the first covey!"
Come to Pine Hill Plantation and experience lively covey rise shooting where the quail flush as wild today as they did in the Golden Days of Vintage Southern Quail Hunting!
Typical Weather by Season:
Pine Hill Plantation is located in the southwest corner of Georgia approximately 60 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Late fall, winter and early spring temperatures can vary widely... sometimes influenced by strong Canadian cold fronts dipping low temperatures into the teens and high temperatures in the 30s and 40s...and sometimes influenced by southerly Gulf breezes making for much milder or even warm temperatures. Layered clothing is recommended.
Monthly average high and low temperatures are listed below in degrees Fahrenheit:
- October: Avg Low Temp mid 50s — Avg High Temp upper 70s to low 80s
- November: Avg Low Temp high 40s — Avg High Temp upper 60s to mid 70s
- December: Avg Low Temp low 40s — Avg High Temp mid 60s
- January: Avg Low Temp high 30s to low 40s — Avg High Temp high 50s to low 60s
- February: Avg Low Temp low 40s — Avg High Temp mid 60s
- March: Avg Low Temp upper 40s — Avg High Temp mid to upper 70s
- April: Avg Low Temp mid 50s — Avg High Temp upper 70s to low 80s
How much should I plan for gratuities?
We coach our staff that our role is to provide personal genuine care for you as our guest and we know that they work hard to deliver great service.
You should offer gratuities as you feel led. If your service and attention has been outstanding, you might want to tip more than the recommended midpoint. If, you feel that you service has not been good for some reason, we would appreciate you expressing your concern to one of the managers or owners so that we can immediately correct any of your concerns.
Tips are most effective when presented in cash directly to the staff persons or when left for the staff persons in the provided envelope.
How do you hunt?
4 shooters per hunt party with 2 shooters down at a time to shoot – one on either side of the point. Pairs of shooter take turns shooting the coveys. You will be guided and served by your Hunt Master, an Asst Hunt Master and a Wagon Driver. You will have the option of riding a horse or riding the mule-drawn wagon...or doing some of both.
Are the bobwhite quail wild?
Yes, we work very hard to maintain and grow our wild populations...controlled burning, broadcast feeding, trapping mammalian predators, planting cover and brood habitat. We also have a summer release program to assimilate a genetically controlled juvenile bird with the wild coveys to increase the population density. Our habitat management program is scientifically based and equal to that of the best private plantations.
Is there a bird limit?
No, but we will never take more than 3 birds per covey unless you shoot two doubles off the covey rise. Many times we shoot the covey rise and move on because the birds flush long, however there are some occasions where you have the opportunity to hunt singles...particularly when 1 or fewer birds are taken on the covey rise.
Are there extra bird charges?
No, our rates are all-inclusive.
Can we shoot with fewer than 4 hunters in a hunt party?
Yes, we have a number of private groups of 6 hunters who go out in 2 hunt parties of 3. They pay more per person than a hunt party of 4...but they shoot more as well.
What if I only have 2 hunters…or just myself?
We hold a number Mixed Group events throughout our season where we group hunters up with other shooters to create a mixed group hunt party of 4 hunters per wagon. Additionally, you will have the opportunity meet other wingshooters and dine together. The events are for 3 nights and 2½ days of hunting and the various dates are posted on our website.
What gauge shotgun should I bring for quail hunting?
For most shooters we recommend 20ga or 28 ga… and for skilled shooters who want to challenge themselves a 410 can be a lot of fun. 12 ga shotguns are fine if that is your favorite gun. We recommend over/under or side-by-side shotguns. However, if you have a favorite automatic shotgun they are acceptable...we request that you only load two shells.
Do you have rental guns?
Yes, we have 20 and 28 ga over/under shotguns that rent for $50 to $75 per day depending on the gun.
Do you have shotgun shells?
Yes. 12 and 20 ga are $12.50 per box. 16, 28 ga and 410’s are $15.00 per box. You may bring your own shells.
Can I bring my dog?
Yes, they are welcome to stay in the kennel or at the lodge in their own kennel. Your dog will ride on the wagon during the hunt.
Can our group stay an extra evening?
Yes, if you hunt with us for 2 or more days and the calendar allows it.
Can we bring wives or guests who do not hunt?
Yes, extra guests who do not hunt may go out with the hunt party and watch for the full day...or just the morning...just the afternoon hunt...and relax at the lodge. They may want to take an excursion for the day into Thomasville, Bainbridge or Havana, Fl. There is an extra daily charge for non-hunting guests.
Which airport should I fly into and what are my transportation options from the airport to Pine Hill Plantation?A. For commercial flights into Tallahassee, Fl travel time to Pine Hill Plantation is approximately 1 hour.
For commercial flights into Albany, GA travel time to Pine Hill Plantation is approximately 1¼ hours.
For commercial flights into Atlanta, GA travel time is approximately 3½ hours.
For general aviation private aircraft arriving at Bainbridge, GA (airport identifier - BGE) travel time to Pine Hill Plantation is approximately 20 minutes.
Rental cars are available at each airport or Pine Hill Plantation will furnish transportation to and from airports which may be scheduled with your reservation for an extra charge.
Where are you located?
We are in the extreme southwest corner of Georgia… approximately 50 miles west of Thomasville, GA… approximately 40 miles northwest of Tallahassee, FL… and approximately 40 miles southeast of Dothan, AL.
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 18.2.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getReviews, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.; SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.;