Top 10 Tips To Avoid Heatstroke
- Know the Symptoms of Early Heat Stroke: Unanticipated Restlessness, Excessive Heavy Panting, Drooling, Weakness, Confusion
- Never Leave Your Pet in the Car on a Sunny, Hot or Humid Day.
- Buy a $10 Kiddie Pool and Fill It with Cool Water.
- Avoid the Beach and Pavement when the Sun is Out – Paw Pads Can Burn.
- Always Provide Access to Shade and Fresh Water.
- Wrap a Freezer Pack in a Towel and Allow Your Dog to Lay Next to It.
- Avoid Being Active with Your Pet During the Peak Heat of the Day.
- Use Fans. Dogs Depend on Evaporation for Cooling Off.
- Play it Safe on Hot, Humid Days – Use Air Conditioning.
- Freeze an Ice Treat – Beef or Chicken Broth Make Great Frozen Snacks.
Know the signs of heatstroke and how to treat them so you and your dog can safely enjoy warmer temperatures.
You may also like:
Dr. Bo Bergman, DVM, West Mountain Animal Hospital, Vermont and Orvis.