Tikchik Narrows Lodge, AK
Orvis-Endorsed Fly-Fishing Lodge in Bristol Bay, Alaska
100% Customer Satisfaction
has been our commitment since 1856. It’s who we are. If you aren’t happy with a product or service, we want to know about it. And we’ll make it right. That’s the Orvis Way.
What Should Customers Bring?
Alaska’s weather is unpredictable – a warm, sunny morning can turn to cool showers all within a day’s fishing. To counter this range of climactic conditions, we highly recommend the layer method of dressing. Long sleeve shirts, polartec or fleece pullovers along with a Gore-Tex outer shell work well. As our Alaskan summer temperatures change, you can take off a layer or add one. Because you will have your waterproof day pack/bag you can pack extra layers in the morning and they will be dry for you as the need arises.
For mid-August through September you should bring an extra heavier layer. Long underwear, a sweatshirt or sweater along with neoprene fishing gloves and a warmer hat for under your rain gear will be adequate.
Lodge attire at the Lodge is informal; casual and comfortable is appropriate. Do not forget shorts for those hot summer evenings.
Rain Gear: It is important that you bring good quality rain gear. The highest quality Gore-Tex “storm wear” coats with hoods are required. Because you will be wearing waders, you will not need rain pants.
Day Pack: You should bring a waterproof day pack/bag for carrying your rain gear, extra layers of clothing, camera, and anything else you might need during the day.
Waders: We recommend the Gore-Tex or nylon breathable waders. They are very durable, the most comfortable and easy to pack. Depending on the temperatures, you can wear the appropriate clothes under your waders to stay warm or cool. You will find either stocking-foot waders or boot-foot waders are fine choices. We typically do not have long hikes or strenuous wading. You should bring felts or the new grip “non-slip” soles. Please do not bring waders or wading boots with studs. They are quite slippery in the aluminum boats and tear up the floats and floors of our aircraft.
Sunglasses: Good quality polarized sun glasses are a necessity for fishing in Alaska. Glasses protect your eyes from flies and lures. They also allow you to see what the guides see. Whether it is sight-fishing for trout or observing a school of salmon, polarized glasses are an important tool in fishing. It is a good idea to bring a spare pair of sunglasses.
Other Items to Bring:
- Insect repellent – We recommend pump spray or roll-on with 15% to 20% DEET. 100% DEET is not necessary.
- Sun block – Even though this is Alaska, our sun can be very intense, especially intensified by the reflections off of the water.
- Lip balm with SPF 15
- Camera and batteries
Sample of Typical Itinerary
Each day’s fishing assignments are scheduled the evening before. Head Guide “Chip King” will review your day’s fishing and discuss the many options with each angler. Where we fish will depend on our angler’s preferences. After dinner each angler will know where they will be fishing, who their pilot is, and who their guide will be for the next day.
The guides will then meet with each angler to let them know how to prepare for the next day’s fishing adventure. If you are using your own equipment, the guides will recommend what rods to take. The guides will also discuss lunch options and beverages.
Breakfast to order is served between 6:45 AM and 7:15 AM. The airplanes, boats and guides are ready to depart shortly after breakfast. We return to the Lodge each evening between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Cocktails are delivered to your room upon request. The pilots call in your drink orders ahead of time, so they can be in your room upon arrival.
Hors d’oeuvres and cocktails are served from 6:00 PM until dinner at approximately 7:00 PM.
Lodging, Meals, and Accommodations
Luxury in room amenities include:
- Coffee maker, featuring Seattle’s Best coffee
- Large sauna towels
- Complimentary laundry service
- Daily maid service
- Alarm clocks
- Ice delivery prior to returning from fishing
- Cocktail / Drink delivered to your room upon arrival after a day’s fishing. Your pilot radioed ahead your order.
- 24-hour electricity
- Complimentary snack basket, with a variety of chips, candy bars, nutrition bars, crackers etc.
- Complimentary non-alcoholic drinks, sodas, juices, etc.
- Meals at Tikchik reflect the best of Pacific Northwest cuisine with an Alaskan flare. Our gourmet dinners feature Alaska king crab, filet mignon, halibut, a selection of Alaskan fresh fish and shellfish, New York steaks and duck. We serve freshly baked breads, pastries and desserts.
- Our produce is flown in weekly and is supplemented by our own greenhouse to provide fresh, crisp salads, herbs and vegetables. Dining at Tikchik is far and above what most anglers would associate with a fishing lodge, let alone a lodge as remote as Tikchik.
- Our guests start each day off with a hearty cooked-to-order breakfast or enjoy our breakfast bar of fresh fruits, cereals and baked goods. Lunches are packed picnic-style for a streamside meal or we will prepare a shore-lunch of freshly caught salmon cooked by one of our expert guides. Our shore lunches have quite a reputation and are definitely a pleasure you won’t want to miss.
- Our hors d’oeuvres will delight you with local specialties of smoked salmon, gravlox, salmon caviar, pickled salmon, reindeer sausage, caribou and moose tenders along with other specialties. Complimentary wine is always served with dinner. We feature a selection of wines from California, Chile, and Australia.
Boating, kayaking, hiking.
Species You Fish for by Season
Salmon: king, sockeye, chum, pink and silver salmon along with 7 species of fresh water fish: rainbow trout, Arctic char, Arctic grayling, Dolly Varden, lake trout and northern pike.
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 18.2.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getReviews, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.; SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.;
Just For You
The Orvis Signature Polo - Regular
Orvis Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed
Clearwater® Fly Rod
Lightweight Linen Three-Quarter-Sleeved Shirt
Grip-Tight® Windowed Hammock Seat Protector
Men's Ultralight Convertible Wader - Regular
Easy Printed Camp Shirt
Tech Chambray Work Shirt - Regular