Orvis-Endorsed Fly-Fishing Guide in Monticello, Minnesota
100% Customer Satisfaction
has been our commitment since 1856. It’s who we are. If you aren’t happy with a product or service, we want to know about it. And we’ll make it right. That’s the Orvis Way.
What Should Customers Bring
Fly Rod and Reel Gear
1. Smallmouth Bass: We strongly recommend a modern 8 ½’ to 9’ graphite fly rod matched to a 7 or 8 weight, weight forward, Bass Bug taper (RIO Smallmouth, SA Titan Taper, Orvis Bankshot)floating fly line. The rod should be matched with a durable, click-drag or disc drag reel capable of holding the fly line and 100 yards of 20 lb backing.
Although lighter rods can be used to catch smallmouth bass, we use 8-weights primarily because they allow the angler to cast large flies with ease and quickly fight a fish in heavy current (critical to releasing a fish with best possibility of survival).
2.For Musky we recommend a 9ft 10-12 wt modern graphite fly rod matched with a intermediate sink tip line. (Rio Musky) The rod should be matched with a disc drag reel with 100 yards of 35lb backing.
Misc. gear that is needed
1. A valid Wisconsin/Minnesota fishing license.(Depends on what water we are fishing and what state you are a resident of. Your guide will clarify this for you if you have questions)
In addition, we strongly recommend the following:
2. Polarized sunglasses-MUST HAVE (eye protection)
4. Clothing appropriate to weather conditions: (e.g. quick drying shirts and shorts/pants in summer; fleece for cooler weather)
5. Sunscreen and bug dope
6. Small towel
7. Change of clothes
8. Sandals or other shoes that can get wet (for getting in/out of driftboat)
11. Personal medication (if needed)
We are more than happy to recommend flies, but given the constantly-changing feeding habits of our quarry and seasonal insect hatches, we recommend you or talk to your guide for specific fly patterns and sizes.
Driftless Area Trout Trips (Walk and Wade): Species: Brown, Brook, and Rainbow Trout. Trout season is January thru the beginning of June. Peak trout fishing occurs the end of March thru early June.
Smallmouth Bass Float Trips: Species: Smallmouth Bass are the primary target, but Northern Pike, Musky, Carp can also be caught on these floats. These floats are offered May thru November, with peak times from May till early June and July thru September.
Musky Float Trips: Species: Musky are the primary target, but Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike are not uncommon on these trips. The season for these trips is mid-September thru ice up (mid to late November). Peak season is October till Ice Up.
- bvseo_sdk, dw_cartridge, 18.2.0, p_sdk_3.2.0
- CLOUD, getReviews, 0ms
- reviews, product
- bvseo-msg: SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.; SEO SDK is disabled. Enable by setting seo.sdk.enabled to true.;